Most people would know gelatin as the tasteless, odourless powder that is used as a gelling agent and makes your jelly, pana cotta and other desserts jiggle. However there are some great health benefits of grass-fed, well sourced gelatin powder.
Gelatin is made from collagen, the most abundant structural protein, and provides us with essential amino acids, making it great for gut health.
- Reduces joint inflammation and pain
- Improves skin elasticity and appearance (think cellulite, acne, stretch marks etc)
- Improves sleep quality
- Improves moods and brain function
- Provides anti-inflammatory benefits
- Helps reduce inflammation in the digestive tract
- Supports healing of leaky gut by improving digestive tract lining and decreasing permability
- Improves absorption of nutrients in the gut
- Can reduce bloating
- Can improve constipation
- Supports the healthy function of our thyroid and adrenal glands
- Supports healthy hormone function (this is particularly beneficial for women!)
- When taken as a supplement it improves skin, nail, teeth, hair and joint health as you age – we start to lose collagen in our body’s in our 20’s
This is just scratching at the surface!
A simple way to consume gelatin on a daily basis is through a good quality, grass fed powder (such as this, or this) mixed into soups, sauces, pana cotta, bullet proof coffee or jelly and gummies. Here is a recipe for gummies that I love to make as a snack
GUT FRIENDLY GUMMIES
Gut Friendly Gummies
Mix your gelatin and water in a small bowl and set aside for a few minute to soften and bloom.
In a saucepan, add the rest of your ingredients and turn to a low heat.
Add your gelatin mixture and stir constantly until the gelatin has dissolved.
Simmer for another 5-7 minutes, until colour and flavour has leeched from the berries and they have softened.
Strain your mixture through a fine mesh sieve (save the berry pulp for your next smoothie or as a jam/coulis!) and pour into whatever moulds you like - silicone ones work best.
Set aside to cool at room temperature, then place into the fridge for 3-5 hours to completely set.
Enjoy cool and store in the fridge
Note: you can use whatever flavour combinations you like with your gummies, and if you like them harder – simply add 3/4 filtered water to the saucepan, rather than 1 cup. Similarly, if you like them more of a jelly ‘jiggly’ consistency, add up to 1 1/2 cups water to your saucepan